Announcements

12-2-2014:  Laboratory analyst opening in Fairbanks

Education Program Coordinator for Alaska Geographic at the Murie Science and Learning Center in Denali National Park   and Preserve openings

The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) Summer Internship in Sustainable Agriculture, based in Goldsboro, NC offers an eight-week internship program (June 9 — July 31, 2015) provides undergraduate students with experience in various aspects of sustainable agriculture from expert faculty and staff at CEFS and through hands-on farm work, lectures and discussions, community engagement, and field trips to local farms and markets.
CEFS Summer Internship Program must be RECEIVED by Monday, March 2, 2015.

12-1-2014: REU with Owen Duckworth (who is a pretty awesome guy)
BESST REU Flyer
Take part in a transformative research experience in the science of soils. Join us for a 10-week individualized summer research experience including a traveling field camp, workshops with leading scientists at the NSF Calhoun Critical Zone Observatory and U.S. EPA National Risk Management Research Lab, and opportunities for post-summer travel to National Professional Scientific Meetings. Learn from a broad and diverse group of mentors, developing skills in chemistry, physics, microbiology, ecology, geology, and hydrology. Participants receive a stipend, apartment-style housing, meal allowance, and travel re-imbursement. No previous experience with soils is necessary. Beginning in Summer 2015. Seeking rising college sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
To find out more, go to https://reu.soil.ncsu.edu/

11-19-2014:  University of Washington Environmental Health Summer Research Program

Dates:  June 22nd — August 21st      2015 in Seattle, WA
Stipend:  $5,200
Application Deadline: February 1st  2015

The UW Environmental Health Research Experience Program (EHREP) is a funded, 10 week summer experience for undergraduates with an interest in environmental health sciences. EHREP provides students with hands on experience in laboratories of leading researchers, introduces them to key environmental and occupational health issues while offering research exposure that will help them become competitive for graduate school.    Students will work full-time under the supervision of a faculty mentor and will receive a stipend of $5,200.

One of the goals of this program is  to increase and diversify the pool of future applicants for graduate study in this field, leading to more outstanding scientists selecting Environmental Health Sciences as a career focus.    We strongly encourage students who are underrepresented in the sciences to apply.

To learn more about the program and the application process, please visit our website:

https://deohs.washington.edu/ehrep

If you have any questions about the program, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.
Trina Sterry
Program Manager
Environmental Health Major and Summer Research Program
University of Washington
206-616-4177

10-17-2014: Be sure to look over Lab 2 corrections carefully when preparing your Lab 3.  Things that I am particularly looking for are:
a. purpose- to perform an experiment, not to learn something.  For example: Lab 2 purpose: to determine the concentration of Ni in an unknown solution using calibration curve and standard addition method.
b. no raw data in the lab writeup.  Just give me nicely tabulated results.
c. Professional tone: 3rd person passive voice. no more I’s or we’s
d. email excel spreadsheets to me (don’t print them).  As the calculations get complex, I need to be able to refer to the excel formulas.
e. please, never say human error.  You can say personal error or dilution error or gross error, or whatever technical term fits (see readings from the day we talked about error).  Just NOT human error!

10-17-2014: HOMEWORK DUE TODAY- Turn it in OCT 24 since we didn’t get the the examples in class.  Anything you didn’t finish for today, you can turn in October 24.  I also eliminated the last problem, so check the website.  I hope you guys have a great weekend and few days without me.

10-14-2014: For those of you not able to attend the faculty speed rounds, you can watch the videos online or visit the faculty websites in order to write a paragraph about each of the participating faculty’s research.
All faculty speed round summaries are due October 24.
September 30: Howard, Simpson, Kuhn.  no video available
October 7: Hayes, Drew, Iceman.  Video:  https://goo.gl/Sw53YW
October 14: Geurrard, Rasley, Edmonds.  Videos:  https://goo.gl/Sw53YW

9-17-2014: To reduce the number of problems due Friday, the annotated figures will be due Monday.

9-15-2014: Text book is now on reserve in the Rasmussen Library.

9-8-2014: I just received an excellent article about good and bad studying habits.  It’s a great reminder at the start of this new semester!
Ten Rules for Good and Bad Studying

9-4-2014: Welcome new CHEM 212 students!  Please check out the welcome video before coming to class tomorrow.  Also, please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the course website, all course materials  (except grades which are available on blackboard) are available here, including: course schedule, daily assignments, lab texts, course syllabus, etc.

I’m looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow!

One thought on “Announcements

Leave a Reply to Susan Berg Cancel reply